Updating Houdini through launcher problem-can't del hserver

177   2   0
5 posts
Hi all, I always had this problem, trying to update Houdini through launcher always fail due to launcher lacks permissions to delete hserver.

Looks like it is in use by Windows 11 event log, i couldn't find it in services though to stop it.

also if i restart my PC and delete it manually, then launcher is dependent on it and asks to recreate it

and its a loop, once the hserver is restarted it can't be deleted by the launcher.

This update routine expected to be one button click and done, users should not experience such issues with it.
Please fix it or people will never adopt the launcher.
5 posts
here is the end of a repair log

[12:37:07 Info] Removing C:/Program Files/Side Effects Software
[12:37:07 Info] Removing C:/Program Files
[12:37:07 Info] Removing C:
[12:37:07 Info] Installing Microsoft C Run-Time Libraries (this could take several minutes)
[12:37:07 Info] Updating HoudiniServer
[12:37:07 Info] Checking if HoudiniServer service is running
[12:37:07 Info] Stopping HoudiniServer service
[12:37:17 Info] Uninstalling HoudiniServer service
[12:37:57 Error] Error while finalizing repair of Houdini: Unable to remove C:/Program Files/Side Effects Software/Houdini Server/hserver.exe: Access is denied.
Edited by RedhillGames - May 8, 2024 05:40:05
5 posts
I did further investigation and looks like Windows Event Log have locked this hserver.exe file.
So restarting the Windows Event Log service helped me

1.Start -> Services
2.Locate Windows Event Log
3.Right click -> Restart

this will release the lock on the file and launcher can repair the installation.

But as a user i would like this to be fixed in launcher hserver stop/replace file/start sequence
Edited by RedhillGames - May 8, 2024 06:35:16
  • Quick Links