Param Type Properties window: Drag and drop disabled

5367   10   3
6 posts
I can't figure this out for the life of me!

Occasionally, when I try to edit the parameter interface of an existing HDA, all drag and drop operations within the Edit Operator Type properties window are disabled – when you try to drag something, you get the circle with the line through it (the “you can't do that” symbol).

This happens both when you drag a node into the window, and when you drag new parameters from the Create Parameters pane.

Yes, I checked all the obvious things: HDA locked, multiple instances of the HDA existing in a scene (shouldn't cause a problem, but seems complicated), manual mode vs. auto-update (this often causes counter-intuitive things to happen)…

Anyone seen this?

I can't figure this out for the life of me!

Thanks,

-abd
1799 posts
I have noticed this issue in a few places myself (where you drag and drop), in addition to the ones you mention:

- dragging a parameter in the parameter spreadsheet
- dragging a gallery item in the node list view

What OS are u running? We recently upgraded to windows 7 so I wonder if that is related

For the time being though, if you keep moving the mouse around, it will eventually allow you to drop your parameter (I.e. In the parameter spreadsheet, going to the lower right corner allows you to drop your parameters). However, I wonder if this has been bugged as it can be a bit of a nuisance
-G
6 posts
I'm using Fedora Linux release 8.

I was thinking it was happening for a real context-dependent reason (i.e. there was something I really wasn't supposed to be doing).

But, could be a bug…

-abd
1799 posts
The only thing that led me to think it may be a bug (at least in my case) is the fact that I can actually get the context to accept my drag and drop after I move the mouse around enough (I.e the bottom corner of the window, a few rows down in the edit parameter layout, etc.). Are you able to eventually drop your parameters if you move the mouse around enough?
-G
7025 posts
It's a bug, happens on Windows and Linux. Hard for SESI to reproduce, though it's been reported fairly often.

Cheers,

Peter B
6 posts
Ahh… that's comforting.

A workaround I found was to set the window to stay on top (via the right-click window manager options from the title bar). Definitely seems like a GUI bug.

Bummer.

-abd
1799 posts
uhmmm.. I just noticed something about this… At home, where I have a single display, it works fine. However, at work, where I use dual displays, this is an issue. I wonder if the bug is related to multiple displays. I will probably log a bug with a note on this
-G
7025 posts
Happens to me on single display machines too
6 posts
There's another thing which seems like it's a display bug: Occasionally, you can't create nodes. You pull up the menu with the tab key, select a node, hit enter, and it just doesn't get created. Once this has happened, it's stuck in this mode until you restart Houdini.

Again, the workaround is to enable “keep above other windows.”

-abd
1 posts
The workaround doesn't work for me. I noted that when I use 2 monitors with exact the same resolution the problem does not occur. However when I switch one to portrait mode (turn 90 degrees) and the resolution changes, the problem occurs again. Also the Houdini splash screen is located wrong.

Does anyone know another workaround?
8 posts
I'm having this issue and its killing my effeciency..when I try to dfrag and drop in houdini I get a circle with a line through it. I can't drag and drop anyting
  • Quick Links